Sunday, August 15, 2010

Let's get married!

Dr. Jaya gave us an interesting topic to write for the position paper. Arrange marriage. Even though I am in love and not into arrange marriage but then I will never forget that before I fell in love I was into arrange marriage because of many reasons. First, I got no trouble in searching for my own bridegroom. Second, if anything happens between me and my future husband, parents will take the blame (well so bad of me) for letting me marry a douche bag. Third, I don’t have to worry about my parent’s expectation because it’s their choice and I am sure they chose the best for me. Lastly, I can love after my marriage or in the knowing process before the marriage. This was all my thought before I met the one for me.
Arrange marriage is very famous in Indian weddings. Nowadays there are still family into arrange marriages. What is the proper definition of arranged marriage? An arranged marriage is a marriage that is established before involving oneself in a lengthy courtship, and often involves the arrangement of someone other than the persons getting married. Such marriages are relatively rare, but still numerous in the Middle East and parts of Africa and Asia. Other groups that practice this custom include the Unification Movement, royal families and devout Hindus. (http://www.arrangedmarriage.eu/)
As a girl, I always wondered how is it to get married in an arranged marriage because it’s like so different than love marriage where you know the person pretty much in and out before the marriage. Arranged marriage may only give a maximum of a year for the couples to know each other and then they tie the knot. I am not sure whether the chances of divorce higher in an arranged marriage but I feel that the couples do not know each other much and less understanding would lead to a divorce. But honestly I have seen many arranged marriage going on smoothly till now.

5 comments:

  1. marriage is something out of our grasp..one day we said arranged married is fine, another day we change our mind...thats how life is...dont u agree???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arranged marriage may sound out-dated but it is still practical in our modern society. Many people think that to marry someone you don't even know is risky. Well, if we look at another way, we can see the advantages for instance the person that has been chose by your family is usually good enough for you. In fact, dating after get married is absolutely sweet. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree with Naomi that that the couples do not know each other much and less understanding would lead to a divorce. In a marriage life, each couple should understand their spouse much and then just provide our care, love and understanding toward them. Hence, no matter arrange marriage or love marriage, know then believe is the most important element to maintain a sweet relationship!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. If a girl is arranged in her marriage, she will have no chance to know better of her spouse before geeting married. It is important for couples to know well about their spouses before they become husbands and wives.

    ReplyDelete